Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Quick List

From time to time, I'll be putting up a "quick list" of helpful links, definitions, or things I think are or may be useful. It's sort of like a public rememberall. Yes, I just quoted Harry Potter. No, I don't have all the unabridged books on tape on my iPod (... yes I do).

Federal Employer Identification Number
You can apply for this before you file any LLC, LP, or Corporation papers. It'll let you get a business credit card, employees (if you can afford them), or other government perks like paying taxes. Here's the online application link. Applying for an EIN is totally free.

Massachussets Limited Liability Company
Since I'm Boston based, I only know about it in MA, but most state divisions of corporation can file online now! This is great, since it saves in lawyers fees for setting up an LLC, and sometimes even more complicated entities (which translates to $3,000 more in my pocket). Here's the application link. Cost of setup in MA is $500.

American Express Small Business Card
In my opinion, AmEx is the best. They force you to pay your card off every month before making new purchases. This doesn't save you from running up big bills, but it does save you from running bills if you're delinquent. If anyone knows of any local credit card companies, specifically in MA for me, or elsewhere, I prefer supporting local community if I can (within reason). Go here for more information on AmEx business cards. Applying is free, acceptance is priceless (except for the finance charges and annual fee).

Business Cards from GreenerPrinter.com
GreenerPrinter was great to work with. They're based in Berkeley, CA (I used to live there), and have excellent quality recycled cards. I paid about $120 for a rush job on 500 business cards, and they were there a day early and perfectly done. Website is here, check it out.

Delaware Limited Partnership
I'm working on this part, and this will be the actual fund for limited partners to invest in. I'll be working with a lawyer for this, but Delaware has very favorable tax law on LPs, so most every domestic hedge fund is based out of Delaware. You can reserve your LP name online at the Delaware department of Corporations here. Reservation fee is $99, I'll let you know how much it is to file when I get there.

Much more to come, like the Term Sheet, Offering Memorandum, and how I actually did some of this stuff.

No comments: